Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD
Just started watching The Expanse on Amazon Prime. I love it! Gives me my sci-fi fix, and I like it when the leading actor takes his shirt off. ?
"Somebody's got to have it, why not us?"
It's a fantastic show...even for a breeder like me :p Just finished the most recent season a few weeks ago.
(10-16-2020, 04:09 PM)BaronAzrael Wrote: It's a fantastic show...even for a breeder like me :p Just finished the most recent season a few weeks ago.
I'm only a couple of seasons in. Having a job, and being an adult who pays bills, is really getting in the way. Lol
Chrisjan Avasarala is my favorite character. So many "You devious bitch!" moments.
Also, why is purging the xeno menace with fire such a hard concept for these people. Omg! WTF! Just burn everything. Are thoughts that crossed my mind. Lol
Because there's always power-mad people willing to risk everything to control the next great weapon. I tend to love the lower-tech sci-fi, which was why I was probably one of the few fans of Star Trek Enterprise (before they went too much into that temporal war shit). Can't beat Babylon 5 and Ivanova for some tough bitch awesomeness!
Also about to finish Man in the High Castle, defo recommend that if you haven't checked it out yet.
(10-17-2020, 11:10 AM)BaronAzrael Wrote: Because there's always power-mad people willing to risk everything to control the next great weapon. I tend to love the lower-tech sci-fi, which was why I was probably one of the few fans of Star Trek Enterprise (before they went too much into that temporal war shit). Can't beat Babylon 5 and Ivanova for some tough bitch awesomeness!
Also about to finish Man in the High Castle, defo recommend that if you haven't checked it out yet.
I like scifi across the tech spectrum, so long as it fits the story. The temporal war was bullshit. There was so much they could have done with that show. It centered around the roots of the f*cking United Federation of Planets, for Pete's sake. Love Babylon 5. It seems to be accepted in scifi that Mars will rebel against Earth. Probably means that no sane government should sponsor settlement. It'll just be tax-payer money down the drain. Lol
Haven't watched Man in the High Castle, but it's on my list.
(10-17-2020, 07:19 PM)Lothrain Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 11:10 AM)BaronAzrael Wrote: Because there's always power-mad people willing to risk everything to control the next great weapon. I tend to love the lower-tech sci-fi, which was why I was probably one of the few fans of Star Trek Enterprise (before they went too much into that temporal war shit). Can't beat Babylon 5 and Ivanova for some tough bitch awesomeness!
I like scifi across the tech spectrum, so long as it fits the story. The temporal war was bullshit. There was so much they could have done with that show. It centered around the roots of the f*cking United Federation of Planets, for Pete's sake. Love Babylon 5. It seems to be accepted in scifi that Mars will rebel against Earth. Probably means that no sane government should sponsor settlement. It'll just be tax-payer money down the drain. Lol
Racist terrorist Vulcan plot...and they went with ANOTHER time-travelling story as the major focus? lol

I admit that the Mars rebellion thing seems to be a real sci-fi trope, but looking at it historically- any distant colony which takes time to get to and is economically productive, often ends up rebelling or at least agitating for autonomy eventually, particularly when they have limited representation in/control over the distant central authority. Any early Mars colony is (in my opinion) unlikely to rebel, but once it becomes economically productive and reasonably self-sufficient you'd see autonomy calls grow. Any competent colonising power would be smart to ensure that as the colony grows it is granted greater degrees of autonomy, and cooperative ventures are de rigor, whilst ensuring a regular cross-exchange of coloniser and colonist governance administration to allow for the colonists to still feel part of, and owners in, the colonising government. Best you could eventually hope for is something like a more integrated Commonwealth system if you want to avoid devolving from a coloniser to an occupying foreign power.
(10-17-2020, 07:19 PM)Lothrain Wrote:

I would also recommend The Expanse, superb sci-fi show.
Dooku:  Oh my naive young Jedi, you must be overly optimistic if you think these Weequayans plan to let you leave this planet.
Anakin: They're planet hopping thieves looking for a quick score, they have no interest in picking a fight with Jedi.
Dooku: They are devious and deceitful, and most importantly, stupid. 
Obi-Wan: It's no wonder you get along with them so well Dooku, you have so much in common.
Dooku: You under-estimate them at your own peril...Kenobi...
Hi all. Whatever happened to the link to the chat?
Is SWD dead?
Seems a bit dormant unless they went to a new forum and forgot to tell us lurkers.